Wildlife Habitat Ecology and Conservation
The relationship between wildlife and their habitats begins with behavioral decisions made by animals and scales up to environmental policy and conservation. Wildlife habitat ecology is intrinsically interdisciplinary, linking humans, wildlife, and the environment that they share. This course is organized into two modules: 1) Wildlife Habitat Ecology; and 2) Wildlife Habitat Conservation. In the first module, we discuss foraging theory, habitat selection, home ranges, migration, ecosystem engineers, and trophic cascades. In the second module, we discuss conservation prioritization, land use planning, anthropogenic habitats, and wildlife restoration. Labs analyze relationships between wildlife and the habitat they occupy, facilitated by programming in R.
Field Methods in Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology
Learning field methods provides the foundation on which emerging wildlife, fish, and conservation biologists can explore and test their own ideas about the natural world. In this course, we introduce a wide range of field methods for research on the ecology and conservation of vertebrates, invertebrates, and plants in relation to the scientific method, experimental design, and data preparation.
Undergraduate Research and Internship Resources
Building a career in wildlife or conservation biology often requires some experience collecting data in the field or conducting independent research. There are many ways to get field and research experience, from on-campus internships and field courses to off-campus field technician positions and training programs. Below I have compiled a number of local and national resources to help you get started in building your fieldwork and research record.
- UC Davis Internship and Career Center
- UC Davis Internship and Career Center – opportunities in ecology and the environment
Undergraduate research and networking opportunities
- Ecological and Evolutionary Response to Rapid Environmental Change
- UC California Ecology and Conservation Field Course
- Undergrad Research Opportunities in Ecology and Evolution at UC Davis
- WFCB Internship Resources
- WFCB Museum Research and Internship Opportunities
- Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Program
- Ecological Society of America: Scientists in Parks Program
- Ecological Society of America: SEEDS Program (Strategies for Ecology Education, Diversity and Sustainability)
- National Park Service: Latino Heritage Internship Program
- National Park Service: Mosaics in Science Diversity Internship Program