The Smith Lab opened its doors in the Department of Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology at UC Davis in January 2020. Successful applicants to our group respect diverse perspectives, are interested in applying ecological theory to wildlife conservation, have demonstrated excellent quantitative and writing skills, and thrive in both team-based and independent work environments. Although it is unlikely that our group will bring on a new student in the 2021-2022 academic year, please feel free to contact Justine to inquire about future opportunities.
Although I will offer partial funding support to admitted students whenever possible, I encourage all prospective students to pursue internal and external funding opportunities available to them. Many of the below fellowships are available to students who are not yet accepted to a graduate program.
UC Davis graduate support:
- Internal Fellowships offered for prospective graduate students at UC Davis
- External Fellowships for graduate students
- UC Davis Graduate Group in Ecology (GGE) Fellowship
- Other GGE funding support (please contact me or the GGE graduate program coordinator for more information)
Funding support for international students:
- Wildlife Conservation Network (WCN) Scholarship Program
- Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) Graduate Scholarship Program
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) International Fellowships
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program (varies by country)
- Philanthropic Educational Organization (PEO) International Peace Scholarship
- Schlumberger Foundation Faculty for the Future Fellowship Program
Other funding opportunities:
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship (US citizens, nationals, and permanent residents, individuals granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program, Indigenous individuals exercising rights associated with the Jay Treaty of 1794, political asylees, and refugees)
- NASA PhD Science GEM Fellowship Program (US citizens, nationals, and permanent residents only)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (US citizens, nationals, and permanent residents only)
- Smithsonian Fellowships and Scholarships (All nationalities eligible)
- Your local Phi Beta Kappa chapter may have additional fellowships available
New to the world of grad school applications?
Read up here for some tips about reaching out to potential advisors. When contacting me, please include a CV or resume, the names and contact information for three references, a brief description of your research interests, and a brief explanation of why you are pursuing a graduate degree and why our lab is a good fit for your professional and personal goals.
Email: justinesmith (at) ucdavis.edu