The Smith Lab opened its doors in the Department of Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology at UC Davis in January 2020. I am recruiting graduate students who respect diverse perspectives, are interested in applying ecological theory to wildlife conservation, have demonstrated excellent quantitative and writing skills, and thrive in both team-based and independent work environments.
PhD opportunity for Fall 2020 (CLOSED)
I will be accepting a PhD student to work in Patagonia Park, Santa Cruz Province, Argentina, starting in Fall 2020. The student will have the opportunity to both collect original field data and work with existing animal movement data from pumas and guanacos. The student will work with myself and our collaborators to develop research questions related to habitat restoration, working landscapes, predator-prey ecology, movement behavior, risk effects, and/or human-wildlife conflict. Preference will be given to students with Spanish language proficiency. A successful candidate will have demonstrated experience working with diverse stakeholders, such as nonprofits, governmental agencies, landowners, and producers.
Although I will offer partial funding support to admitted students, I encourage all prospective students to investigate the many internal and external funding opportunities available to them:
- Internal Fellowships offered for prospective graduate students at UC Davis
- External Fellowships for graduate students
- UC Davis Graduate Group in Ecology (GGE) Fellowship
- Other GGE funding support
Funding support for international students:
- Wildlife Conservation Network (WCN) Scholarship Program
- Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) Graduate Scholarship Program
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) International Fellowships
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program (varies by country)
- Philanthropic Educational Organization (PEO) International Peace Scholarship
- Schlumberger Foundation Faculty for the Future Fellowship Program
Other funding opportunities:
- Smithsonian Fellowships and Scholarships (All nationalities eligible)
- NASA PhD Science GEM Fellowship Program (US citizens, nationals, and permanent residents only)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (US citizens, nationals, and permanent residents only)
New to the world of grad school applications?
Read up here for some tips about reaching out to potential advisors. When contacting me, please include a CV or resume, the names and contact information for three references, a brief description of your research interests, and an explanation of why you are pursuing a graduate degree and why our lab is a good fit for your professional and personal goals.
Email: justinesmith (at) ucdavis.edu